Skip to main content

Windows XP Filling Space

It seems that Windows XP likes to have restore points.
Lots of restore points.
There is a hidden folder on your system drive (probably C:) called
"System Volume Information". It is hidden by default.
Not only is it hidden, but the default authority is that users can't even browse any files in it!
So I followed the directions to unhide (had already done that long ago) and give my main ID view access to the folder (that was new).

Holy cow! There are 72 restore points!
And each folder is over 40M. (Although all the old ones are compressed! :) )
There is 5.43G of data in this directory. Okay, it is only* taking up 3.37G.
*ONLY* - since when do I say only to Gigs of space? And *only* 3.37G, that is almost 10% of my hard drive! Turns out the default setting is the maximum: 12%.

Well, it seems you can change how much space is reserved for system restore points: Windows-key+Pause/Break-key -> System Restore Tab
or right-click MyComputer icon on desktop -> Properties
or Control Panel [->Performance & Maintenance] -> System
Then adjust the slider for space/percentage used for system restore.

I'd prefer if they gave you an option for keeping monthly updates, and about a month's of daily updates instead of always deleting the oldest.

You can also create a named restore point by going to Accessories->System Tools->System Restore. I just tried this: it may solve my desire for monthly restore points -- I will have to see if it eventually rolls off when it is the oldest. This is also where you can restore back to a previous state.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nobody Blogrolling Me?

Accoriding to wholinkstome there are a bunch of links to me. I know only some people use blogrolling, and I've seen other people have me in their lists of linked blogs. I have 30+ people in my blogrolling list on the side ---> But wholinestome shows that nobody appears to be linking to here. Should I care? Should I remind others to blogroll me? (Feels like begging or nagging.) Should I delete the ones I blogroll who use blogroll and don't blogroll me? (Seems petty.) Should I assume something is wrong with wholinksme? (I've peaked at a couple sites, I'm not there, do I need to do a full inventory?) Should I assume something is wrong with blogroll for my site, and people just can't add me for some reason? (Could it be that simple?) Maybe it is because I haven't done '100 things' yet. :) What would you do? :)

Death in the Family

My father passed away on Sunday afternoon. He had Alzheimers for a number of years. I keep explaining to everyone who expects me to be devastated that I've already done a bunch of mourning. I know the service on Friday will be sad and emotional, but so far I haven't cried. I last saw him this past summer. I am sure he recognized me, but he was already showing that he didn't know who I was. So in my mind, I started to say goodbye then. When I went to my uncle's funeral a few months ago, and saw much cousins speaking about their father, I realized that I would be in that same spot in not too long. Sometimes with Alzheimers, the person's body stay much longer after their mind has gone. My dad was just at that point of slipping both complete beyond who he was and beyond the point of living comfortably. He was no longer happy. So it was a very good time for him to have his final rest. I was glad my sister was able to be with him to the end. His lung ...

I Voted, Colorado

Voting is different here in Colorado than it was back on the East Coast. In New Jersey, and I remember it was the same basic things when my parents voted in New York, the voting was in a mechanical voting booth. You would go to a desk and sign the big book. The would give you a sheet of paper. You would take the paper over to a voting machine. An assistant would take the paper and put it somewhere on the side of the machine. You would pull a big mechanical handle that would close the curtain behind you. Then you would flip the levers to indicate your vote. After, you would push the big handle, which would record your vote, reset the levers and open the curtain. Here in Colorado, the beginning of the process is the same. You wait on line and sign the big book. I went with my wife, as she dropped her car off for service. At first she was going to vote before she dropped off her car. But she called me to tell me the line was an hour long. After I picked her up at the shop,...