Skip to main content

Cost of Gas

I stopped outside Sam's Club on my way to work this morning to get gas.
My tank showed between 1/4 and 1/2 - but I knew this actually meant less than 1/4 of the tank. Why can't car companies come up with a more accurate gas guage? Probably because it would make the car cost an extra $100.
Well, I decided it was a good time to get gas. I'm hoping to pop up to Highlands Ranch (Southern Denver) for robot club tomorrow, so filling up now made sense.

Well, I had noticed the price up the road was $1.81.9. So when I pulled into Sam's, I was happy to see that the price was 6 cents less: $1.75.9. Normally I wouldn't have noticed a slight descrepancy. But this morning I did notice. The price at the pump was $1.76.9! For a moment I wasn't sure if I misread the sign on my way in. I walked a bit and saw that I was right, the price didn't match. I looked around for someone to ask, but noone seemed to be about. So I took some pictures for proof (continued)


2004-07-02 - Sam's Club - Price on the sign



2004-07-02 - Sam's Club - Price at the pump

So after taking the pictures, I went into the customer desk. I asked about it. They called someone to check on the sign and pumps. The woman was very nice at the counter. A penny difference for a little over 12 gallons was only 12 cents. But she gave me a quarter to make up for my having to go inside :) . They definately made me a happy customer this morning. She mentioned that they would probably have to change the signs again, as it seems they get a price at 10am or so from corporate. Interesting.

So afterwards I realized that based on my time, it wasn't really worth my going into get that adjustment. It probably cost me $5-10 in time that I could get paid from work to go in for those few cents.

But I kinda have a philosophy about getting the change right. I figure that in the long run, I'll lose some and occasionally I'll gain some, so normally I don't even worry about counting my change. Unless something doesn't feel right. But I also felt like while it didn't directly pay for me to get the situation taken care of, I feel sort of like I've paid it forward. If everyone once and a while makes sure to help fix things that affects others, we all help each other. I feel like I've made a small payment forward this morning :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nobody Blogrolling Me?

Accoriding to wholinkstome there are a bunch of links to me. I know only some people use blogrolling, and I've seen other people have me in their lists of linked blogs. I have 30+ people in my blogrolling list on the side ---> But wholinestome shows that nobody appears to be linking to here. Should I care? Should I remind others to blogroll me? (Feels like begging or nagging.) Should I delete the ones I blogroll who use blogroll and don't blogroll me? (Seems petty.) Should I assume something is wrong with wholinksme? (I've peaked at a couple sites, I'm not there, do I need to do a full inventory?) Should I assume something is wrong with blogroll for my site, and people just can't add me for some reason? (Could it be that simple?) Maybe it is because I haven't done '100 things' yet. :) What would you do? :)

Death in the Family

My father passed away on Sunday afternoon. He had Alzheimers for a number of years. I keep explaining to everyone who expects me to be devastated that I've already done a bunch of mourning. I know the service on Friday will be sad and emotional, but so far I haven't cried. I last saw him this past summer. I am sure he recognized me, but he was already showing that he didn't know who I was. So in my mind, I started to say goodbye then. When I went to my uncle's funeral a few months ago, and saw much cousins speaking about their father, I realized that I would be in that same spot in not too long. Sometimes with Alzheimers, the person's body stay much longer after their mind has gone. My dad was just at that point of slipping both complete beyond who he was and beyond the point of living comfortably. He was no longer happy. So it was a very good time for him to have his final rest. I was glad my sister was able to be with him to the end. His lung ...

I Voted, Colorado

Voting is different here in Colorado than it was back on the East Coast. In New Jersey, and I remember it was the same basic things when my parents voted in New York, the voting was in a mechanical voting booth. You would go to a desk and sign the big book. The would give you a sheet of paper. You would take the paper over to a voting machine. An assistant would take the paper and put it somewhere on the side of the machine. You would pull a big mechanical handle that would close the curtain behind you. Then you would flip the levers to indicate your vote. After, you would push the big handle, which would record your vote, reset the levers and open the curtain. Here in Colorado, the beginning of the process is the same. You wait on line and sign the big book. I went with my wife, as she dropped her car off for service. At first she was going to vote before she dropped off her car. But she called me to tell me the line was an hour long. After I picked her up at the shop,...