Skip to main content

Interviewed

It snow yesterday and last night. We got maybe an inch. But the schools we on 2 hour delay. I can understand - it was cold, blowing, and the snow created a layer of ice on the road, and they were not sure if we would get more snow. When I looked on the weather report, I saw a hole from Colorado Springs down to Pueblo with no snow expected. Weird to see a hole like that. But it did bode well for getting the kids to school in time before my interview at 1:30.

But thinking about getting the kids in at 10, I debated going into work. I would lose time going in and having to leave not that long after. So I decided to dial in instead. I'm glad I have a good boss for that - for one more week.

I redressed in my best suit and headed over for my interview. I met the boss of the group. He seemed like a very nice person. I think he may be descended from native Americans, not that it matters. He spent a lot of time telling me about the position and the work. The biggest surprise was the hours. The job would normally or mostly start at 6:30am. This is pretty darn early. Yet I quickly realize that I could get up at the same time I used to get up when I commuted to Denver. And I'd be home a lot earlier in the day. It should be before sunset, even on the shortest day of the year. But not early enough to pick up the kids from school, and it would be too early to take them to school.

After meeting with the boss, he had two other guys from the group come and give me a techy interview. One guy was normal, the other was a long-haired, bearded guy. That's cool. Overall, I think the tech interview went very well. I missed a couple of questions, but quickly showed I understood the concepts. And I got a few harder questions right on. One of them they admitted they have used as a tie breaker question. Someone who knew the Cobol unstring method showed that they were more rounded than another coder. I was worried that they were expecting a DB2 admin, as that was the brainbench test I took, and the recruiter warned me that they would grill me on DB2. But they asked me normal developer questions, so I was pretty comfortable with that part of the interview. I was a bit rusty, not having done DB2 in 4 years. But many concepts translate between different versions of database servers, so that helped me a lot.

Then I met with the boss again. He said his boss was off, but would call me in the next day or two. It seems that as long as I get along with this East Coast boss, I have a good shot at the position. That certainly make me feel a lot more comfortable with the job situation.

Not the perfect job for me, but a very good match for my skills. It sounds like I could learn a bit there, and it also might help motivate me to work on my education some more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nobody Blogrolling Me?

Accoriding to wholinkstome there are a bunch of links to me. I know only some people use blogrolling, and I've seen other people have me in their lists of linked blogs. I have 30+ people in my blogrolling list on the side ---> But wholinestome shows that nobody appears to be linking to here. Should I care? Should I remind others to blogroll me? (Feels like begging or nagging.) Should I delete the ones I blogroll who use blogroll and don't blogroll me? (Seems petty.) Should I assume something is wrong with wholinksme? (I've peaked at a couple sites, I'm not there, do I need to do a full inventory?) Should I assume something is wrong with blogroll for my site, and people just can't add me for some reason? (Could it be that simple?) Maybe it is because I haven't done '100 things' yet. :) What would you do? :)

Death in the Family

My father passed away on Sunday afternoon. He had Alzheimers for a number of years. I keep explaining to everyone who expects me to be devastated that I've already done a bunch of mourning. I know the service on Friday will be sad and emotional, but so far I haven't cried. I last saw him this past summer. I am sure he recognized me, but he was already showing that he didn't know who I was. So in my mind, I started to say goodbye then. When I went to my uncle's funeral a few months ago, and saw much cousins speaking about their father, I realized that I would be in that same spot in not too long. Sometimes with Alzheimers, the person's body stay much longer after their mind has gone. My dad was just at that point of slipping both complete beyond who he was and beyond the point of living comfortably. He was no longer happy. So it was a very good time for him to have his final rest. I was glad my sister was able to be with him to the end. His lung ...

I Voted, Colorado

Voting is different here in Colorado than it was back on the East Coast. In New Jersey, and I remember it was the same basic things when my parents voted in New York, the voting was in a mechanical voting booth. You would go to a desk and sign the big book. The would give you a sheet of paper. You would take the paper over to a voting machine. An assistant would take the paper and put it somewhere on the side of the machine. You would pull a big mechanical handle that would close the curtain behind you. Then you would flip the levers to indicate your vote. After, you would push the big handle, which would record your vote, reset the levers and open the curtain. Here in Colorado, the beginning of the process is the same. You wait on line and sign the big book. I went with my wife, as she dropped her car off for service. At first she was going to vote before she dropped off her car. But she called me to tell me the line was an hour long. After I picked her up at the shop,...