Skip to main content

The Mummy Returns

No not the movie. This is a continuation of my mad scientist story, trying to get my computers working.

Yesterday, I recieved the new P3 that I ordered, to replace my cranky P3-450. I had paid for 2 day shipping. It got there on the fouth day. Annoying, but mostly it was bad timing for the weekend. I don't think it would pay to make a fight about it.

It came well packed. There were static warning stickers on the plastic box and the the anti-static bag inside. So I made sure to touch the frame of the PC lots of times while I was working with the CPU. In theory I should get a wrist-grounding strap, but I'm pretty good about discharging before I handle chips. (Watch, next time I handle a chip, I'll burn it out with static, just to prove me wrong!)

It turns out the CPU I bought was a P3-733 with a 133 bus speed. That means that the CPU expects the bus frequency is expected to be 133Mhz. My old PC is set to a 100Mhz bus. Well, I hoped the fact that the CPU was for a faster bus wouldn't cause a problem. I figured that I had two different machines to try it in too.

Well, I put the new CPU in my old desktop (Mobius) last night. I powered it on. I think I was holding my breath until I heard the heard the monitor react and the built-in speaker beep. I was still worried until I actually saw the booting messages. I forced it over to the older, non-default windows 98 system, as I have a CPU speed/temperature utility installed in w98. The CPU showed a normal temperature. The speed however didn't show 733Mhz. The speed showed 551Mhz.

I guess being on the 100Mhz bus means that it comes up at a slower speed. It makes sense. It is faster than the 450Mhz it was before. And it means that the CPU is running slower, thus cooler, than it is rated. I wonder if the kid's computer is also fixed at 100Mhz bus? I also have the doc from the motherboard, and it has the option to jumper up to 133Mhz bus speed. But it warns that the bus chips are not rated about 100Mhz, and may not act well if they are run over 100Mhz. I may have to try it anyhow, just to see.

I left the computer on last night, to make sure the new CPU was solid. It seems to be happy. I'm happy to get my backup machine back online. I'm able to have a hot backup for my laptop data - especially important to me with my pictures. And I can burn DVDs again. I can also think about running some services on it again.

And I should be able to get the old P2-200 to run again. To use it for the kids or for Linux? Tought choice. I think it will be Linux soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nobody Blogrolling Me?

Accoriding to wholinkstome there are a bunch of links to me. I know only some people use blogrolling, and I've seen other people have me in their lists of linked blogs. I have 30+ people in my blogrolling list on the side ---> But wholinestome shows that nobody appears to be linking to here. Should I care? Should I remind others to blogroll me? (Feels like begging or nagging.) Should I delete the ones I blogroll who use blogroll and don't blogroll me? (Seems petty.) Should I assume something is wrong with wholinksme? (I've peaked at a couple sites, I'm not there, do I need to do a full inventory?) Should I assume something is wrong with blogroll for my site, and people just can't add me for some reason? (Could it be that simple?) Maybe it is because I haven't done '100 things' yet. :) What would you do? :)

Death in the Family

My father passed away on Sunday afternoon. He had Alzheimers for a number of years. I keep explaining to everyone who expects me to be devastated that I've already done a bunch of mourning. I know the service on Friday will be sad and emotional, but so far I haven't cried. I last saw him this past summer. I am sure he recognized me, but he was already showing that he didn't know who I was. So in my mind, I started to say goodbye then. When I went to my uncle's funeral a few months ago, and saw much cousins speaking about their father, I realized that I would be in that same spot in not too long. Sometimes with Alzheimers, the person's body stay much longer after their mind has gone. My dad was just at that point of slipping both complete beyond who he was and beyond the point of living comfortably. He was no longer happy. So it was a very good time for him to have his final rest. I was glad my sister was able to be with him to the end. His lung ...

I Voted, Colorado

Voting is different here in Colorado than it was back on the East Coast. In New Jersey, and I remember it was the same basic things when my parents voted in New York, the voting was in a mechanical voting booth. You would go to a desk and sign the big book. The would give you a sheet of paper. You would take the paper over to a voting machine. An assistant would take the paper and put it somewhere on the side of the machine. You would pull a big mechanical handle that would close the curtain behind you. Then you would flip the levers to indicate your vote. After, you would push the big handle, which would record your vote, reset the levers and open the curtain. Here in Colorado, the beginning of the process is the same. You wait on line and sign the big book. I went with my wife, as she dropped her car off for service. At first she was going to vote before she dropped off her car. But she called me to tell me the line was an hour long. After I picked her up at the shop,...