Skip to main content

Cola Wars Continue


As you may remember from a recent entry, I mentioned that I have switched sides in the Cola Wars. For somebody with partial heritage in Atlanta Georgia, switching off Coke is a bit sacrilegious.
Yes, I admit: I've gone to the dark side -- I've been drinking Pepsi. Diet Vanilla Pepsi, to be specific. Of course I was already a bit let down by Coke way in the past with the whole 'New Coke' debacle.
And now with the new flavor wars, Coke has again let me down. I think they worried too much about keeping the core Coke flavor, and just kept the flavors too muted to be valuable.

Hey Coke - here is a hint: 15 years ago I perfected the art of flavoring Coke -- 2 parts Coke, 1 part Sprite = Lymon Coke - perfect.

Well, switching to Pepsi was a double-sided switch. I had switched off sugar too. It happened when I was trying Atkins. Atkins made me too cranky, but drinking diet soda is the one habit I've kept from Atkins. I found that both Dr. Pepper and Vanilla Pepsi had a strong enough flavor to help hide the diet flavor. But there was still one thing wrong with these diet sodas: they have Nutrasweet. Maybe it doesn't bother you, but I don't like the side effects very much. I have actually noticed getting a bit of a headache from it.

But then Diet Rite, in the last few weeks, came out with diet soda with Splenda instead of Nutrasweet. Yes!

But I still have a problem. You see, being a programmer, I need that caffeine to help be in a good programming mode. And to my shock, all versions of Diet Rite are caffeine free. Even the Cola! Hello! Diet Rite: cola should have caffeine! Okay, so you can have a caffeine free cola, but the main cola needs to have caffeine! Why do you think techies have been known to by Jolt? To get more caffeine!

I've switched sides again, but I'm still searching for the holy grail for canned soda. For now, I get my soda boost from Diet Rite, and I get my caffeine from Lipton tea. Hot Lipton tea. Good thing it is getting cooler for the fall. Hot tea isn't as appealing when it is 90 degrees outside. Of course, working in a very well air conditioned building helps offset the effect :).

So Diet Lymon Coke with Splenda, where are you? I might just switch back!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nobody Blogrolling Me?

Accoriding to wholinkstome there are a bunch of links to me. I know only some people use blogrolling, and I've seen other people have me in their lists of linked blogs. I have 30+ people in my blogrolling list on the side ---> But wholinestome shows that nobody appears to be linking to here. Should I care? Should I remind others to blogroll me? (Feels like begging or nagging.) Should I delete the ones I blogroll who use blogroll and don't blogroll me? (Seems petty.) Should I assume something is wrong with wholinksme? (I've peaked at a couple sites, I'm not there, do I need to do a full inventory?) Should I assume something is wrong with blogroll for my site, and people just can't add me for some reason? (Could it be that simple?) Maybe it is because I haven't done '100 things' yet. :) What would you do? :)

Death in the Family

My father passed away on Sunday afternoon. He had Alzheimers for a number of years. I keep explaining to everyone who expects me to be devastated that I've already done a bunch of mourning. I know the service on Friday will be sad and emotional, but so far I haven't cried. I last saw him this past summer. I am sure he recognized me, but he was already showing that he didn't know who I was. So in my mind, I started to say goodbye then. When I went to my uncle's funeral a few months ago, and saw much cousins speaking about their father, I realized that I would be in that same spot in not too long. Sometimes with Alzheimers, the person's body stay much longer after their mind has gone. My dad was just at that point of slipping both complete beyond who he was and beyond the point of living comfortably. He was no longer happy. So it was a very good time for him to have his final rest. I was glad my sister was able to be with him to the end. His lung ...

I Voted, Colorado

Voting is different here in Colorado than it was back on the East Coast. In New Jersey, and I remember it was the same basic things when my parents voted in New York, the voting was in a mechanical voting booth. You would go to a desk and sign the big book. The would give you a sheet of paper. You would take the paper over to a voting machine. An assistant would take the paper and put it somewhere on the side of the machine. You would pull a big mechanical handle that would close the curtain behind you. Then you would flip the levers to indicate your vote. After, you would push the big handle, which would record your vote, reset the levers and open the curtain. Here in Colorado, the beginning of the process is the same. You wait on line and sign the big book. I went with my wife, as she dropped her car off for service. At first she was going to vote before she dropped off her car. But she called me to tell me the line was an hour long. After I picked her up at the shop,...