Skip to main content

Latest Home Movie Viewing

We watched a couple of rented DVDs lately.

At the beginning of the weekend, we rented one of Mel Brook's best movies: Blazing Saddles from the video store to share with some friends. My eldest son's best friend's parents. It seems the friend's mom had never seen it. I had been quoting from the movie earlier in the evening, so we decided it was time to share.

My wife was surprised that it wasn't in my DVD collection with Young Frankenstein and History of the World Part I. It belongs in my collection, but I just haven't gotten around to it. I thought about buying it a couple of times, but for a while there I wasn't sure which one I was missing!

Well when I opened the DVD case, I was interested to see the shiny side of the DVD facing me. Turns out this is one of those double-sided DVDs. In a lot of cases, including this one, the two sides have to do with TV formatted or letterbox (aka widescreen). Well, it was the widescreen side facing me. Also facing me was the blue sharpie of the store we rented from. While, in some cases, it is possible for a DVD to read through marker, in this case it wasn't. I tried to see if we could watch the film, by fast forwarding through the widescreen side. But it froze a few scenes down the movie.

Hey BlockBuster! Most people prefer to watch the widescreen version! Figure out some way to identify your videos without ruining one side of the DVD!

After watching the movie, we checked out the extra DVD features. We were hoping to see the extra scenes, which show up in the broadcast TV version, such as all the extra Mongo-baiting scenes (yes, there is more than just candygram!). But this version doesn't have it. The Special Edition is supposed to have these scenes and other things. I was surprised that the version we saw was not the highest quality. There was one point near the end, I could see where about half a second was lost to a splice.

The other movie I saw this weekend on DVD was Hidalgo. A story about an person in the Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show who rides a special horse. A Mustang named Hidalgo. The movie's primary plot is about the rider and horse having to come out of the show and prove their racing skill in a deadly cross-desert Arabian race. There are some very interesting people and relationships evolving during the film. It is an exciting, feel-good movie. The quality made me think the budget was a tiny bit small, but it moves nicely. The movie has some of the feel of Lawrence of Arabia. It is a slightly longer than average film, at about 2 and a quarter hours.

My wife and I watched it on our little time away. We went on an overnight to a bed-and-breakfast a couple hour drive away, in the general vicinity of Brekenridge. The rooms each had a TV and VCR, and there was a nice selection of videos in the main room. But we brought Hidalgo on DVD. So I happily loaded up my laptop, and got out my video cable. I couldn't get it to work with the TV input, but it worked fine on the VCR input. One of these days I'll have to setup an audio cable. The movie played on the slightly larger screen of the TV and the audio played from the laptop speakers. For some reason, DVD playback is not as loud as regular audio playback on my laptop. I think this has to do with the DVD drive, and the audio from it not going through the amplifier section of the audio circuit. But in the B&B it was a fine volume. Pictures from the trip to follow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nobody Blogrolling Me?

Accoriding to wholinkstome there are a bunch of links to me. I know only some people use blogrolling, and I've seen other people have me in their lists of linked blogs. I have 30+ people in my blogrolling list on the side ---> But wholinestome shows that nobody appears to be linking to here. Should I care? Should I remind others to blogroll me? (Feels like begging or nagging.) Should I delete the ones I blogroll who use blogroll and don't blogroll me? (Seems petty.) Should I assume something is wrong with wholinksme? (I've peaked at a couple sites, I'm not there, do I need to do a full inventory?) Should I assume something is wrong with blogroll for my site, and people just can't add me for some reason? (Could it be that simple?) Maybe it is because I haven't done '100 things' yet. :) What would you do? :)

Death in the Family

My father passed away on Sunday afternoon. He had Alzheimers for a number of years. I keep explaining to everyone who expects me to be devastated that I've already done a bunch of mourning. I know the service on Friday will be sad and emotional, but so far I haven't cried. I last saw him this past summer. I am sure he recognized me, but he was already showing that he didn't know who I was. So in my mind, I started to say goodbye then. When I went to my uncle's funeral a few months ago, and saw much cousins speaking about their father, I realized that I would be in that same spot in not too long. Sometimes with Alzheimers, the person's body stay much longer after their mind has gone. My dad was just at that point of slipping both complete beyond who he was and beyond the point of living comfortably. He was no longer happy. So it was a very good time for him to have his final rest. I was glad my sister was able to be with him to the end. His lung ...

I Voted, Colorado

Voting is different here in Colorado than it was back on the East Coast. In New Jersey, and I remember it was the same basic things when my parents voted in New York, the voting was in a mechanical voting booth. You would go to a desk and sign the big book. The would give you a sheet of paper. You would take the paper over to a voting machine. An assistant would take the paper and put it somewhere on the side of the machine. You would pull a big mechanical handle that would close the curtain behind you. Then you would flip the levers to indicate your vote. After, you would push the big handle, which would record your vote, reset the levers and open the curtain. Here in Colorado, the beginning of the process is the same. You wait on line and sign the big book. I went with my wife, as she dropped her car off for service. At first she was going to vote before she dropped off her car. But she called me to tell me the line was an hour long. After I picked her up at the shop,...