Skip to main content

New Headlight Bulb

Yesterday was an interesting day for car swapping. We took my wife's minivan to the shop for some followup repairs on the driver's seat, dashboard lights and vent control. So she drove me to work, and took my Camry sedan.

Her minivan was done during the day. So she went and switched cars, leaving my Camry at the dealer. This way she could pick up the kids and pick me up without a problem. As a family of 5 we can fit in the Camry, but it isn't very comfortable for whoever winds up in the middle-back. Usually it is my eldest son, but as he is almost as big as I am now, it isn't a great option. So she picked me up from work. But she needed to go to work. So I dropped her off at work, and went home for a little while. Just long enough to dial into work to try to take care of a production problem and make dinner and eat before having to go back for my wife.

We went back to pick up my wife, then swung by the dealer where my car was waiting. My wife got in to drive it home. I noticed that one of my headlights was out. So I knew I needed to take care of it soon.

I noticed a new Checkers Auto Parts store had moved into a strip mall along my normal route to work. They had taken over the spot that Zany Brainy had abandoned a number of months ago.

I parked in front and opened the hood. I tried quickly to see if the bulb popped out easily, as I thought it did. But when it didn't, I took out the two little screws with my Swiss army knife. Then the bulb turned and popped out. Doh! So I put the screws back before I could lose them or something could go out of whack.

I looked at the bulb. It didn't look burnt out. I wondered for a moment if somehow the wiring was bad? So I turned the headlights back on and tried the dead bulb in the good bulb's socket. Nope, still dead. Must be the bulb. Interesting that the bases were different - ah, right, I had changed the other bulb about a year or so ago.

I popped into the auto parts store and got the new bulb. It said for low-beam only. Huh? I didn't realize it was a two bulb system. I hadn't seen a second bulb when I took the first out. Well, it had the same number, so I assumed I just missed seeing where the high-beam went, or that somehow Toyota made a low-beam-only bulb act like a dual beam.

The bulb was only 11 dollars and change. Not bad at all. Better than when I used to have to buy the who bulb and lens system. I put the new bulb in, and it worked fine. Then I tried the high beams. They worked too. I went to look at the way the high beams worked. Then I saw that the high beam bulbs are further inside, and are recessed deeper (further forward) than I expected. That is why I missed them.

But the big question is: how come some many dashboard lights have burned out in the Sienna minivan (also by Toyota), yet the Camry that is 4 years older, and twice as many miles, has only lost one bulb in the last few months. And of course the access to the minivan's dashboard lights can't be done easily by the owner. It required the dealer to take apart the dash to get to the lights. Considering how much else is done to make it easier for the owner to take care of on our Toyotas, it seemed very odd that the situation looks like they are going to shorter-lived bulbs that require more work to replace. That is the kind of thing you expect from the 'domestic' cars. We gladly paid a little more for the Toyotas knowing that they are better long term cars, and you normally don't expect to have to pay for lots of odd repairs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking Blodgett Peak 12/25/2005

So Christmas day Sunday, but we don't do Christmas. And a day off Monday. No real plans until Sunday evening for Channukah. My toe finally feels well enough for a hike. Blodgett Peak has been calling to me for months - especially since I learned there was a geocache on top. So I get up a bit early - early for a day off from work - and head out for a hike. I don't know how far I'll get - but I want to at least get to the top of Blodgett Peak. I've got about 8 geocaches I can try for, depending on how I do. A couple are up in Pike National Forrest, past Blodgett Peak. It is slower going than I expected. I spend more time than I wanted looking for the first 4 geocaches - I only found 2 of them. The trail is Icy and muddy. It is not a great trail - it is not well prepared like the trail going up Pikes Peak. It is very easy to lose the trail - subtle paths seem to go off in many directions. In many places, the trail seems to go up very steep, loose gravel. Step

1000 Greatest Movies

Found on Misanthropic-Tendencies From the NY Times - The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made I've highlighted the ones I've seen from the list. As it is a big list, I've set it to be hidden. I've added some favorite quotes to ones I've seen. Show/Hide the list below A À Nous la Liberté (1932) About Schmidt (2002) Absence of Malice (1981) Adam’s Rib (1949) Adaptation (2002) The Adjuster (1991) The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) Affliction (1998) The African Queen (1952) L’Age d’Or (1930, reviewed 1964) Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972, reviewed 1977) A.I. (2001) Airplane! (1980) "I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing glue" Aladdin (1992) "Poof! Whaddya want?" Alexander Nevsky (1939) Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore (1975) Alice’s Restaurant (1969) Aliens (1986) '...In space no one can hear you scream.' All About Eve (1950) All About My Mother (1999) All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) All That

Nobody Blogrolling Me?

Accoriding to wholinkstome there are a bunch of links to me. I know only some people use blogrolling, and I've seen other people have me in their lists of linked blogs. I have 30+ people in my blogrolling list on the side ---> But wholinestome shows that nobody appears to be linking to here. Should I care? Should I remind others to blogroll me? (Feels like begging or nagging.) Should I delete the ones I blogroll who use blogroll and don't blogroll me? (Seems petty.) Should I assume something is wrong with wholinksme? (I've peaked at a couple sites, I'm not there, do I need to do a full inventory?) Should I assume something is wrong with blogroll for my site, and people just can't add me for some reason? (Could it be that simple?) Maybe it is because I haven't done '100 things' yet. :) What would you do? :)