Skip to main content

Son of Frankenstein

Well, the brain transplant turned out to be a failure. Frankenstein couldn't handle the Abby Normal brain.

I had an old computer that I took in a few months back. It has a P2-200. I had tried the P2-200 in my desktop (the one I call Mobius) a few weeks back, but it wouldn't boot. I tried this in the Frankenstein yesterday. It booted up! It took a bit longer to boot up. When my son went to play Age of Mythology, it became pretty obvious that the mini-me brain was not a good option either. The deal was sealed when it crashed. So I took the 700 back out of Mobius and put it back into Frankenstein. My son is happy. But I'm not very happy. I tried the P3-450 (Abby) in the P2's case. No luck. I tried the P2-200 in my desktop again. Still no luck. But it may not be working due to jumper settings on Mobius' motherboard. I wondered if a P2-200 would be good enough for what I use Mobius for. I use Mobius primarily for a file server and CD/DVD burner. So it might be good enough, if barely. But it is also my backup system, in case my laptop ever was having trouble (say if it wouldn't act right after a certain Service Pack is eventually installed).

Well, I decided enough playing around. I had gone online to look at newer P3's when it was pretty obvious that Abby wasn't happy in Mobius. I saw there we some good prices out there. So I went back out this morning to look for a newer CPU for Mobius. It took a few tries. I finally found a link to a site called compgeeks.com, which had a pretty good selection. I decided since Mobius seemed to like a P3-700 (even though the doc only 'allows' for up to 600Mhz), that I would see what I could get that was a little faster. They had a 733 that was listed at $25. Just what the [mad] doctor ordered! But I also perused the P4 options. I considered buying a P4-1.6G, a motherboard and 512 memory for $200. I figured I could pop it into Mobius' case, and be running with CPU that was a little faster than my laptop. It was very, very tempting. I still had enough birthday money that I could seriously consider it. I even considered getting both the new P4 combo and the P3-733, putting the P4 into Mobius' case, and moving the P3 setup into an older case.

But in the end, logic prevailed. I realized that I do almost all my computing on my laptop, and there wasn't a good justification to paying for a fancier CPU for my old desktop. At least not right now. I figured it made more sense to save the money. I could use it to buy a better computer for the kids someday if it is needed. I can also use the money to pay for more robotic things.

So I ordered the P3-733. It is a 133Mhz system bus, vs the 100Mhz bus that Mobius has. But I figured that even if Mobius has a hard time with the 733, I bet Frankenstein will take it. And I know the 700 in Frankenstein works well in Mobius. I even decided to pay extra for faster shipping: 2 days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking Blodgett Peak 12/25/2005

So Christmas day Sunday, but we don't do Christmas. And a day off Monday. No real plans until Sunday evening for Channukah. My toe finally feels well enough for a hike. Blodgett Peak has been calling to me for months - especially since I learned there was a geocache on top. So I get up a bit early - early for a day off from work - and head out for a hike. I don't know how far I'll get - but I want to at least get to the top of Blodgett Peak. I've got about 8 geocaches I can try for, depending on how I do. A couple are up in Pike National Forrest, past Blodgett Peak. It is slower going than I expected. I spend more time than I wanted looking for the first 4 geocaches - I only found 2 of them. The trail is Icy and muddy. It is not a great trail - it is not well prepared like the trail going up Pikes Peak. It is very easy to lose the trail - subtle paths seem to go off in many directions. In many places, the trail seems to go up very steep, loose gravel. Step

1000 Greatest Movies

Found on Misanthropic-Tendencies From the NY Times - The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made I've highlighted the ones I've seen from the list. As it is a big list, I've set it to be hidden. I've added some favorite quotes to ones I've seen. Show/Hide the list below A À Nous la Liberté (1932) About Schmidt (2002) Absence of Malice (1981) Adam’s Rib (1949) Adaptation (2002) The Adjuster (1991) The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) Affliction (1998) The African Queen (1952) L’Age d’Or (1930, reviewed 1964) Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972, reviewed 1977) A.I. (2001) Airplane! (1980) "I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing glue" Aladdin (1992) "Poof! Whaddya want?" Alexander Nevsky (1939) Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore (1975) Alice’s Restaurant (1969) Aliens (1986) '...In space no one can hear you scream.' All About Eve (1950) All About My Mother (1999) All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) All That

Nobody Blogrolling Me?

Accoriding to wholinkstome there are a bunch of links to me. I know only some people use blogrolling, and I've seen other people have me in their lists of linked blogs. I have 30+ people in my blogrolling list on the side ---> But wholinestome shows that nobody appears to be linking to here. Should I care? Should I remind others to blogroll me? (Feels like begging or nagging.) Should I delete the ones I blogroll who use blogroll and don't blogroll me? (Seems petty.) Should I assume something is wrong with wholinksme? (I've peaked at a couple sites, I'm not there, do I need to do a full inventory?) Should I assume something is wrong with blogroll for my site, and people just can't add me for some reason? (Could it be that simple?) Maybe it is because I haven't done '100 things' yet. :) What would you do? :)