Skip to main content

Denver Area Robot Club

While I live in Colorado Springs, the closest group I've found to share my robot hobby with are up in Denver. Well, not quite Denver: we usually meet in a suburb south of Denver. An area called Highlands Ranch. Which is where the Ranch in RanchBots comes from.



It is an interesting group of people. The guy who leads the group, Kerwin, is a really nice guy. He works with electronics, and is very good about sharing his knowledge. He is very good with helping beginners. He helped out a whole high school class the last year, so I give him a lot of credit for that.

There are an interesting collection of other people who usually attend. Some of them are a bit geeky and some you wouldn't know that they were technically minded. I think it is great to see a mother and her (I guess about) 8 year old son come to most of the monthly meetings. He is excited by the simpler robots, and often has a neat robotic-style toy he has built or customized. But the mother always seems to be trying to learn more about the more complex robotics. I can see that she has to really push herself to grasp some of the concepts we throw around. But I think it is fantastic that she keeps coming back. Keep asking questions!

Another guy who often shows up comes down even further than I drive up. He comes down from the more advanced Front Range Robot Group out of Fort Collins. It is always interesting to see what he comes up with. He has put together some fantastic hardware.



Every four months we have schedule a joint meeting between the two groups, just past the northern edge of Denver. It's not too bad a drive for the Denver guys, but it means I have to drive a little more than the Fort Collins guys. Unluckily I missed the last joint meeting, as my son was having his birthday party. It seems like the spring meeting is always a poor showing from the Denver club. Perhaps we should just make that one an automatic skip. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nobody Blogrolling Me?

Accoriding to wholinkstome there are a bunch of links to me. I know only some people use blogrolling, and I've seen other people have me in their lists of linked blogs. I have 30+ people in my blogrolling list on the side ---> But wholinestome shows that nobody appears to be linking to here. Should I care? Should I remind others to blogroll me? (Feels like begging or nagging.) Should I delete the ones I blogroll who use blogroll and don't blogroll me? (Seems petty.) Should I assume something is wrong with wholinksme? (I've peaked at a couple sites, I'm not there, do I need to do a full inventory?) Should I assume something is wrong with blogroll for my site, and people just can't add me for some reason? (Could it be that simple?) Maybe it is because I haven't done '100 things' yet. :) What would you do? :)

Death in the Family

My father passed away on Sunday afternoon. He had Alzheimers for a number of years. I keep explaining to everyone who expects me to be devastated that I've already done a bunch of mourning. I know the service on Friday will be sad and emotional, but so far I haven't cried. I last saw him this past summer. I am sure he recognized me, but he was already showing that he didn't know who I was. So in my mind, I started to say goodbye then. When I went to my uncle's funeral a few months ago, and saw much cousins speaking about their father, I realized that I would be in that same spot in not too long. Sometimes with Alzheimers, the person's body stay much longer after their mind has gone. My dad was just at that point of slipping both complete beyond who he was and beyond the point of living comfortably. He was no longer happy. So it was a very good time for him to have his final rest. I was glad my sister was able to be with him to the end. His lung ...

I Voted, Colorado

Voting is different here in Colorado than it was back on the East Coast. In New Jersey, and I remember it was the same basic things when my parents voted in New York, the voting was in a mechanical voting booth. You would go to a desk and sign the big book. The would give you a sheet of paper. You would take the paper over to a voting machine. An assistant would take the paper and put it somewhere on the side of the machine. You would pull a big mechanical handle that would close the curtain behind you. Then you would flip the levers to indicate your vote. After, you would push the big handle, which would record your vote, reset the levers and open the curtain. Here in Colorado, the beginning of the process is the same. You wait on line and sign the big book. I went with my wife, as she dropped her car off for service. At first she was going to vote before she dropped off her car. But she called me to tell me the line was an hour long. After I picked her up at the shop,...