Skip to main content

Awesome Game Creation

The first item I ordered on Half.Com was:
Awesome Game Creation: No Programming RequiredAwesome Game Creation : No Programming Required(2000)
This is a neat book. At the homeschool cooperative, one of the parents was a local college teacher. He decided to teach a version of his game course to the teens at the coop. As I was not working at that time, I asked to 'lurk' in the class. The teacher was happy to let me. I was glad he did. It was a good class. The book and the class teach you how to get started in creating games using these game building applications. The book covers a few different engines. The engines for the most part require no programming. You import graphics and audio, and drag-and-drop objects, then select options in different windows. In most cases there is some scripting you can do behind the scenes to improve your games. But the kids were able to come up with all sorts of shoting games, a modified driving game and even an adventure game. While Lev was not interest in the class, I told him about it. He got rather interested in it at home. I showed him how you can use the system with paint to create your own animated sprites. He surprised me with his first one - it was better than the one I tried to do for him!

I haven't touched the book in a while, since I've been working. We were over at the neighbor's house, and he mentioned that his son, a little older than Lev, was interested in game programming. So I loaned him the book. I think the boy is more interested in more advanced 3D game programming, but it is a good start.
There is also a 2002 version of the game creation book. Offhand, I can't tell you what difference there is.
I noticed that there appears to be a newer version on 3D game programming in the same series. It must be new, as there are no copies available on Half.Com at this time. Hm - and the publish year is 2004.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nobody Blogrolling Me?

Accoriding to wholinkstome there are a bunch of links to me. I know only some people use blogrolling, and I've seen other people have me in their lists of linked blogs. I have 30+ people in my blogrolling list on the side ---> But wholinestome shows that nobody appears to be linking to here. Should I care? Should I remind others to blogroll me? (Feels like begging or nagging.) Should I delete the ones I blogroll who use blogroll and don't blogroll me? (Seems petty.) Should I assume something is wrong with wholinksme? (I've peaked at a couple sites, I'm not there, do I need to do a full inventory?) Should I assume something is wrong with blogroll for my site, and people just can't add me for some reason? (Could it be that simple?) Maybe it is because I haven't done '100 things' yet. :) What would you do? :)

Death in the Family

My father passed away on Sunday afternoon. He had Alzheimers for a number of years. I keep explaining to everyone who expects me to be devastated that I've already done a bunch of mourning. I know the service on Friday will be sad and emotional, but so far I haven't cried. I last saw him this past summer. I am sure he recognized me, but he was already showing that he didn't know who I was. So in my mind, I started to say goodbye then. When I went to my uncle's funeral a few months ago, and saw much cousins speaking about their father, I realized that I would be in that same spot in not too long. Sometimes with Alzheimers, the person's body stay much longer after their mind has gone. My dad was just at that point of slipping both complete beyond who he was and beyond the point of living comfortably. He was no longer happy. So it was a very good time for him to have his final rest. I was glad my sister was able to be with him to the end. His lung ...

I Voted, Colorado

Voting is different here in Colorado than it was back on the East Coast. In New Jersey, and I remember it was the same basic things when my parents voted in New York, the voting was in a mechanical voting booth. You would go to a desk and sign the big book. The would give you a sheet of paper. You would take the paper over to a voting machine. An assistant would take the paper and put it somewhere on the side of the machine. You would pull a big mechanical handle that would close the curtain behind you. Then you would flip the levers to indicate your vote. After, you would push the big handle, which would record your vote, reset the levers and open the curtain. Here in Colorado, the beginning of the process is the same. You wait on line and sign the big book. I went with my wife, as she dropped her car off for service. At first she was going to vote before she dropped off her car. But she called me to tell me the line was an hour long. After I picked her up at the shop,...