Skip to main content

WinVNC Remote Desktop

I reciently deployed remote desktop software. I've used it before at a previous job, but this was the first time I've set it up.

This a GPL software:
RealVNC - Download VNC 3.3.7

WINVNC or VNC - allows you to run a desktop server on your computer. The default action is to share out your current screen, so someone who uses a VNC client to connect to a VNC server then can share the mouse and keyboard of the server machine.

Why did I need this? Well, I have a friend who doesn't have use of her eyes. But she does very well on her computer with some commercial talker software called JAWS.
But like a normal home user, she comes across things that are hard to fix without an expert in the field. And sometimes things are just setup on a computer so that it really helps to look at what is going on on the screen - or know hwere to click the mouse. Like when AIM hides on the start tray - convienient if you can see - a pain in the butt if you can't. So I help her out when I can. But it can be hard to get over to her house very often to help.
As she just got DSL from Qwest She got a surprisingly good rate of $27/mo for about 6x dialup upstream and down with MSN as her ISP. (They have an even better rate if you want to roll-your-own email and skip the ISP.)
So I helped her setup DSL. This turned out to be a little harder than expected, as Qwest/MSN expect you to have W98SE or higher. She currently has only W98 1st edition. So I managed to get her system working manually. The DSL modem - now they call it a DSL Bridge - is pretty fancy. It is actually a multi-protocol DSL-HUB. It has NAT, 10/100 ethernet, a USB connection and 802.11b/g wireless. The wireless worked out well, as I was able to get online with my laptop at the same time as her desktop to help test VNC. As it was I had to do an advanced setup on her DSL bridge to forward the port for VNC, but it worked well.
Twice now, I've been able to log into her computer and help her with a bunch of settings, right from home. This way my kids weren't moving stuff around on her, and I didn't have to spend a bunch of time driving both ways to do some relatively simple fixes.

The good news is she has a windows 98 SE computer that I just have to spend a little on-site time to get running for her. But I wanted to get her working first with the system she was comfortable with.

One of the other exciting things about VNC, is there are versions for most of the platforms, so you can remote control Mac, Un*x and Windows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking Blodgett Peak 12/25/2005

So Christmas day Sunday, but we don't do Christmas. And a day off Monday. No real plans until Sunday evening for Channukah. My toe finally feels well enough for a hike. Blodgett Peak has been calling to me for months - especially since I learned there was a geocache on top. So I get up a bit early - early for a day off from work - and head out for a hike. I don't know how far I'll get - but I want to at least get to the top of Blodgett Peak. I've got about 8 geocaches I can try for, depending on how I do. A couple are up in Pike National Forrest, past Blodgett Peak. It is slower going than I expected. I spend more time than I wanted looking for the first 4 geocaches - I only found 2 of them. The trail is Icy and muddy. It is not a great trail - it is not well prepared like the trail going up Pikes Peak. It is very easy to lose the trail - subtle paths seem to go off in many directions. In many places, the trail seems to go up very steep, loose gravel. Step

1000 Greatest Movies

Found on Misanthropic-Tendencies From the NY Times - The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made I've highlighted the ones I've seen from the list. As it is a big list, I've set it to be hidden. I've added some favorite quotes to ones I've seen. Show/Hide the list below A À Nous la Liberté (1932) About Schmidt (2002) Absence of Malice (1981) Adam’s Rib (1949) Adaptation (2002) The Adjuster (1991) The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) Affliction (1998) The African Queen (1952) L’Age d’Or (1930, reviewed 1964) Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972, reviewed 1977) A.I. (2001) Airplane! (1980) "I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing glue" Aladdin (1992) "Poof! Whaddya want?" Alexander Nevsky (1939) Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore (1975) Alice’s Restaurant (1969) Aliens (1986) '...In space no one can hear you scream.' All About Eve (1950) All About My Mother (1999) All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) All That

Nobody Blogrolling Me?

Accoriding to wholinkstome there are a bunch of links to me. I know only some people use blogrolling, and I've seen other people have me in their lists of linked blogs. I have 30+ people in my blogrolling list on the side ---> But wholinestome shows that nobody appears to be linking to here. Should I care? Should I remind others to blogroll me? (Feels like begging or nagging.) Should I delete the ones I blogroll who use blogroll and don't blogroll me? (Seems petty.) Should I assume something is wrong with wholinksme? (I've peaked at a couple sites, I'm not there, do I need to do a full inventory?) Should I assume something is wrong with blogroll for my site, and people just can't add me for some reason? (Could it be that simple?) Maybe it is because I haven't done '100 things' yet. :) What would you do? :)