Skip to main content

Reflecting on Change of View

I was reflecting a couple of days ago, on a change of view.

In my case, it has to do with humor. Jokes. Specifically, internet jokes.

For a while, maybe 6 months or a year, I ran a humor mailing list. It did not have a very big distribution, but it had a high rate of publication. I had one going out 5 days a week, and another once a week. So that meant at least 6 humor-oriented pieces a week.

I subscribed to a number of humor-based lists, and scoured additional source for humor, to make sure I was always sending something new.

My father was big into telling jokes, and I always seemed to have trouble remembering whole jokes to tell like he did. But I supposed that was a basis for my like of humor, and wanting to do more with it. I also enjoyed sending along jokes and getting jokes. Of course, this was before people got harassment-crazy.

But I noticed after a while, it got harder and harder to find new material for my list. There was always some topical humor, like Letterman's top 5 and other topic commentary. But most of the email humor was the same, over and over. Sometimes there would be a repackaging, but it usually had the same punch lines.

But as to the change of view...
I took something I loved, and made a job of it. I liked the job, but the side effect was that I knew almost all the punch lines.
And I still do.
It is amazing how many jokes I've heard from friends, I already know the punch-lines. It must be a little frustrating to my friends to so rarely be able to tell me a new joke. I know I'm saddened that something that gave me such joy, now is usually old-hat. I still enjoy hearing the jokes, but it isn't as much fun when almost all of them are old.

I have one friend who sends me all sorts of internet humor. He sends a lot. And almost all of it is old hat. Usually the only new stuff is poking fun at our president, about a current event.

I have to laugh to myself how many times I catch a public speaker using an internet joke, or even catch one in the funny papers.

I don't exactly regret having the mailing list, and knowing almost all the jokes. But I am a little sad from it. I guess it make me a little wary about getting so deeply involved in something.

Does that lead to a new saying? Ultimate knowledge leads to ultimate boredom.

Comments

Trinity said…
I like poking fun at Bush
Anonymous said…
I wonder if Dad had the same disappointment about hearing recycled jokes himself...probably not...he just loved the interaction.

In tribute of this man you and I come from, I did some things today that I think he might've done. I had an excellent meal and watched an opera on videotape. Granted, he would have done it in a much grander (read expensive) way, I still feel my activities were a suitable tribute. I did *not* go out and buy the latest gadget, nor did I tell any jokes.

Last weekend I went to a cousin's Bat Mitzvah and recited the mourner's kaddish for him...

Happy Birthday Dad!
Joanna
Anonymous said…
And, oh yeah...have you ever had someone tell you an urban legend as if it happened to them or someone they know??? I've had this happen twice within the last couple of years! With the same legend!!! What the....??!?!?!

J

Popular posts from this blog

Nobody Blogrolling Me?

Accoriding to wholinkstome there are a bunch of links to me. I know only some people use blogrolling, and I've seen other people have me in their lists of linked blogs. I have 30+ people in my blogrolling list on the side ---> But wholinestome shows that nobody appears to be linking to here. Should I care? Should I remind others to blogroll me? (Feels like begging or nagging.) Should I delete the ones I blogroll who use blogroll and don't blogroll me? (Seems petty.) Should I assume something is wrong with wholinksme? (I've peaked at a couple sites, I'm not there, do I need to do a full inventory?) Should I assume something is wrong with blogroll for my site, and people just can't add me for some reason? (Could it be that simple?) Maybe it is because I haven't done '100 things' yet. :) What would you do? :)

Death in the Family

My father passed away on Sunday afternoon. He had Alzheimers for a number of years. I keep explaining to everyone who expects me to be devastated that I've already done a bunch of mourning. I know the service on Friday will be sad and emotional, but so far I haven't cried. I last saw him this past summer. I am sure he recognized me, but he was already showing that he didn't know who I was. So in my mind, I started to say goodbye then. When I went to my uncle's funeral a few months ago, and saw much cousins speaking about their father, I realized that I would be in that same spot in not too long. Sometimes with Alzheimers, the person's body stay much longer after their mind has gone. My dad was just at that point of slipping both complete beyond who he was and beyond the point of living comfortably. He was no longer happy. So it was a very good time for him to have his final rest. I was glad my sister was able to be with him to the end. His lung ...

I Voted, Colorado

Voting is different here in Colorado than it was back on the East Coast. In New Jersey, and I remember it was the same basic things when my parents voted in New York, the voting was in a mechanical voting booth. You would go to a desk and sign the big book. The would give you a sheet of paper. You would take the paper over to a voting machine. An assistant would take the paper and put it somewhere on the side of the machine. You would pull a big mechanical handle that would close the curtain behind you. Then you would flip the levers to indicate your vote. After, you would push the big handle, which would record your vote, reset the levers and open the curtain. Here in Colorado, the beginning of the process is the same. You wait on line and sign the big book. I went with my wife, as she dropped her car off for service. At first she was going to vote before she dropped off her car. But she called me to tell me the line was an hour long. After I picked her up at the shop,...