Skip to main content

Bike up Rampart Range



Balancing Rock - About 100' from where Rampart Range Road Begins


Uphill - Both Ways


Not for Low Clearance Vehicles


Plaque For Rampart Range Road


Blooming wild Cactus


GOG Rocks


View across Southern Part of GOG, to downtown Colorado Springs


Leaving behind GOG


View North East over a Fence


Shooting Range 2 Miles


Cracked Rocks


Pikes Peak - From Rampart Range Road


Made it to the Gun Range - right about 8,000'


Microwave and Cell Tower along The Road


Unusual view of the Scar


Rocks and Strata on the side of the Road


Cheyenne Mountain Through the Rocks


GOG - The Jogger is Closer Than She Appears


GOG Tour in Progress

I want to hike up Pikes Peak again this summer. This time I want to do it from the Barr Trail side. A much longer hike.

So I decided to start with a bike ride. I had gone for an hour bike ride around my neighborhood a couple of weeks ago. And while there are some hills in the area, it is obviously not as much of a challenge compared to hiking up a 14,000' mountain.

I want to do some training hiking up the scar. But I read they were closing at least some of the hiking in Glen Erye on the weekend. So I wanted a bike challenge.

I chose to bike up Rampart Range Road. I'd driven it once. It took a while to drive, especially since I didn't have a high clearance vehicle.

I remembered it being a lot uphill. It was different on a bike. I realized that it was all uphill except for about 2 spots where about 1/20 of a mile wasn't uphill. So it was a big work out.

I didn't know how far I would get. I had driven as far as the gun range. I didn't know if I could make it that far.

I drove down through the Garden of the Gods to where Rampart Range Road starts. I parked right near balancing rock - near the south exit to Garden of the Gods. It was about 6380' altitude according to my GPS.

I stopped a number of times to take pictures. I also pulled over just about every time a car passed. If I was off to the side, the driver didn't have to worry about my swerving in front of them. And I could keep and eye on the drivers. I was pleasantly surprise by all the friendly people. Many people waved - including a bunch of much younger people. Nice :)

It was a cloudy day. It looked like the rain might come down at some point. I figured it wouldn't take me long to get down if things started looking real threatening. But the rain mostly passed to the south. For about 5 minutes I was misted on. But the lighting stay far away. So I kept going. And going.

My legs were cramping up as I got higher and higher. But I could hear the gun range. I figured that was a good spot to aim for. It was a good workout. The gun range turns out just a few feet below 8,000'. So I rode a short distance further to pass 8,000'.

The GPS said I had gone 4.6 miles. But it missed most of the switchbacks. The GPS I have needs to be kept horizontal to keep a lock. That doesn't happen when it is in my pants pocket. But I figured out to put in my pick shirt back pocket for the ride down.

I think it took about 2 hours to go up. I figured it would take a lot less time to get down. I was able to let my myself go pretty fast going down. But it still took a long time. The washboard of the road made it hard to go too fast. And it was a real workout of different muscles fighting the road on the way down. It took about a half hour to get down.

The GPS seemed to have kept a good lock on the way down. It said I broke 24mph. Ooops - the road speed limit was 20! ;-) LOL

It says I traveled 11.4 miles at the end. Subtracting from the beginning - that means it was 6.8 linear miles down. That means 6.8 miles up over 1,500' vertical when I went up. Over 13.5 miles. That will do to start. I figured I'd be really tired and sore the day after. I'm a little more sore today, but not too bad.

I hope the weather is nice enough to hike up the scar later this week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nobody Blogrolling Me?

Accoriding to wholinkstome there are a bunch of links to me. I know only some people use blogrolling, and I've seen other people have me in their lists of linked blogs. I have 30+ people in my blogrolling list on the side ---> But wholinestome shows that nobody appears to be linking to here. Should I care? Should I remind others to blogroll me? (Feels like begging or nagging.) Should I delete the ones I blogroll who use blogroll and don't blogroll me? (Seems petty.) Should I assume something is wrong with wholinksme? (I've peaked at a couple sites, I'm not there, do I need to do a full inventory?) Should I assume something is wrong with blogroll for my site, and people just can't add me for some reason? (Could it be that simple?) Maybe it is because I haven't done '100 things' yet. :) What would you do? :)

Death in the Family

My father passed away on Sunday afternoon. He had Alzheimers for a number of years. I keep explaining to everyone who expects me to be devastated that I've already done a bunch of mourning. I know the service on Friday will be sad and emotional, but so far I haven't cried. I last saw him this past summer. I am sure he recognized me, but he was already showing that he didn't know who I was. So in my mind, I started to say goodbye then. When I went to my uncle's funeral a few months ago, and saw much cousins speaking about their father, I realized that I would be in that same spot in not too long. Sometimes with Alzheimers, the person's body stay much longer after their mind has gone. My dad was just at that point of slipping both complete beyond who he was and beyond the point of living comfortably. He was no longer happy. So it was a very good time for him to have his final rest. I was glad my sister was able to be with him to the end. His lung ...

I Voted, Colorado

Voting is different here in Colorado than it was back on the East Coast. In New Jersey, and I remember it was the same basic things when my parents voted in New York, the voting was in a mechanical voting booth. You would go to a desk and sign the big book. The would give you a sheet of paper. You would take the paper over to a voting machine. An assistant would take the paper and put it somewhere on the side of the machine. You would pull a big mechanical handle that would close the curtain behind you. Then you would flip the levers to indicate your vote. After, you would push the big handle, which would record your vote, reset the levers and open the curtain. Here in Colorado, the beginning of the process is the same. You wait on line and sign the big book. I went with my wife, as she dropped her car off for service. At first she was going to vote before she dropped off her car. But she called me to tell me the line was an hour long. After I picked her up at the shop,...