Skip to main content

Death in the Family

My father passed away on Sunday afternoon.

He had Alzheimers for a number of years.

I keep explaining to everyone who expects me to be devastated that I've already done a bunch of mourning. I know the service on Friday will be sad and emotional, but so far I haven't cried. I last saw him this past summer. I am sure he recognized me, but he was already showing that he didn't know who I was. So in my mind, I started to say goodbye then. When I went to my uncle's funeral a few months ago, and saw much cousins speaking about their father, I realized that I would be in that same spot in not too long.

Sometimes with Alzheimers, the person's body stay much longer after their mind has gone. My dad was just at that point of slipping both complete beyond who he was and beyond the point of living comfortably. He was no longer happy. So it was a very good time for him to have his final rest.

I was glad my sister was able to be with him to the end. His lung started to fill with fluid, and his time came pretty quickly and pretty calmly.

We had some tough time, as most children and parents do. Eventually we were able to overcome this issues and be friends. I had him as my best man at my wedding. I got a lot of my joy of computers and photography from him. We could talk about computer stuff for hours. I knew that time passed many years ago when he had trouble finding the '@' key for sending an email. Another legacy is my Swiss army knife. He gave me my first one when I was 12. I remember camping and bike riding and flying kites. I remember him taking me on photo shoots and motorcycle rides and boating trips. We went to Mohonk and hiking on Bear Mountain.

I will miss him.

Comments

Anonymous said…
When my father was diagnosed over six years ago with inoperable cancer, I found myself mourning the loss during the year he was receiving chemotherapy treatment. I knew he would not recover or survive, and that his death was imminent. Regardless, though I'd prepared myself for his death long before, I still mourned yet again, once he did pass away. I feel for you, not only because Alzheimer's is simply a horrible disease but also because the loss of a parent is extremely painful. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
Anonymous said…
I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
Trinity said…
Your dad was a great man because he produced a wonderful son like you. Hugs Keith
xxxx
Zee said…
I'm sorry for your loss, Keith.
Stef said…
My deepest sympathies on the loss of your father. I know that he meant a lot to you, and that he is now at rest. Remember him with joy and cherish the memories you have of him.

((hugs))
Anonymous said…
I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your father, but I am glad he's not suffering anymore.

HeyLisa
Anonymous said…
I'm sorry for your loss, Keith. Your family will be in my prayers.

Anna Banana
bella said…
That is so weird... just this morning I was told my senior vp's father in law was in a coma and I made a statement that I could see how difficult it is for family members of someone in a coma or with Alzheimers. And a few hours later I read your post. I am so sorry for your loss. I totally understand what you mean about having already said good-bye and how right now the emotion is not a raw saddness, but probably a feeling of relief he is not longer suffering. Allow your emotions to come freely, do not force anything nor hide anything... it's all a process like anything else and we all grieve/handle things differently. I started missing my dad when his motor skills started going and then he couldn't talk and make sense - we couldn't understand and it broke my heart - but he was still with us, but not himself so I was a mess. I understand how right now you are are not "devastated," those who do not understand are at a different place than you, that's all. I'm so glad you shared this with us. Take care.
Unknown said…
XOXOXOX To you and your family. Thanks for sharing some of those special memories... That's the good stuff.

Popular posts from this blog

Nobody Blogrolling Me?

Accoriding to wholinkstome there are a bunch of links to me. I know only some people use blogrolling, and I've seen other people have me in their lists of linked blogs. I have 30+ people in my blogrolling list on the side ---> But wholinestome shows that nobody appears to be linking to here. Should I care? Should I remind others to blogroll me? (Feels like begging or nagging.) Should I delete the ones I blogroll who use blogroll and don't blogroll me? (Seems petty.) Should I assume something is wrong with wholinksme? (I've peaked at a couple sites, I'm not there, do I need to do a full inventory?) Should I assume something is wrong with blogroll for my site, and people just can't add me for some reason? (Could it be that simple?) Maybe it is because I haven't done '100 things' yet. :) What would you do? :)

I Voted, Colorado

Voting is different here in Colorado than it was back on the East Coast. In New Jersey, and I remember it was the same basic things when my parents voted in New York, the voting was in a mechanical voting booth. You would go to a desk and sign the big book. The would give you a sheet of paper. You would take the paper over to a voting machine. An assistant would take the paper and put it somewhere on the side of the machine. You would pull a big mechanical handle that would close the curtain behind you. Then you would flip the levers to indicate your vote. After, you would push the big handle, which would record your vote, reset the levers and open the curtain. Here in Colorado, the beginning of the process is the same. You wait on line and sign the big book. I went with my wife, as she dropped her car off for service. At first she was going to vote before she dropped off her car. But she called me to tell me the line was an hour long. After I picked her up at the shop,...