2005-10-14

Reflecting on Change of View

I was reflecting a couple of days ago, on a change of view.

In my case, it has to do with humor. Jokes. Specifically, internet jokes.

For a while, maybe 6 months or a year, I ran a humor mailing list. It did not have a very big distribution, but it had a high rate of publication. I had one going out 5 days a week, and another once a week. So that meant at least 6 humor-oriented pieces a week.

I subscribed to a number of humor-based lists, and scoured additional source for humor, to make sure I was always sending something new.

My father was big into telling jokes, and I always seemed to have trouble remembering whole jokes to tell like he did. But I supposed that was a basis for my like of humor, and wanting to do more with it. I also enjoyed sending along jokes and getting jokes. Of course, this was before people got harassment-crazy.

But I noticed after a while, it got harder and harder to find new material for my list. There was always some topical humor, like Letterman's top 5 and other topic commentary. But most of the email humor was the same, over and over. Sometimes there would be a repackaging, but it usually had the same punch lines.

But as to the change of view...
I took something I loved, and made a job of it. I liked the job, but the side effect was that I knew almost all the punch lines.
And I still do.
It is amazing how many jokes I've heard from friends, I already know the punch-lines. It must be a little frustrating to my friends to so rarely be able to tell me a new joke. I know I'm saddened that something that gave me such joy, now is usually old-hat. I still enjoy hearing the jokes, but it isn't as much fun when almost all of them are old.

I have one friend who sends me all sorts of internet humor. He sends a lot. And almost all of it is old hat. Usually the only new stuff is poking fun at our president, about a current event.

I have to laugh to myself how many times I catch a public speaker using an internet joke, or even catch one in the funny papers.

I don't exactly regret having the mailing list, and knowing almost all the jokes. But I am a little sad from it. I guess it make me a little wary about getting so deeply involved in something.

Does that lead to a new saying? Ultimate knowledge leads to ultimate boredom.

4 comments:

Atomic Bombshell said...

How sad :(

Trinity said...

I like poking fun at Bush

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Dad had the same disappointment about hearing recycled jokes himself...probably not...he just loved the interaction.

In tribute of this man you and I come from, I did some things today that I think he might've done. I had an excellent meal and watched an opera on videotape. Granted, he would have done it in a much grander (read expensive) way, I still feel my activities were a suitable tribute. I did *not* go out and buy the latest gadget, nor did I tell any jokes.

Last weekend I went to a cousin's Bat Mitzvah and recited the mourner's kaddish for him...

Happy Birthday Dad!
Joanna

Anonymous said...

And, oh yeah...have you ever had someone tell you an urban legend as if it happened to them or someone they know??? I've had this happen twice within the last couple of years! With the same legend!!! What the....??!?!?!

J