Skip to main content

Water Heater

The other day I got a call from home: there was no hot water.

As the house and hot water heater was less than 4 years old, I was hopeful it was something simple - like maybe the kids played with a controls or that the pilot light somehow went out. I had trouble with the pilot light going out about 3 times back in New Jersey.

When I got home, I hadn't remembered that the hot water heater was out. I remembered when I went to wash my hands with hot water. After I had just formed a bunch of hamburgers. Bad time to remember there was no hot water. I cleaned my hands as best as I could, and started warming some water on the stove.

After dinner I went down to check the water heater. As I opened the door, I could tell it wasn't a simple problem. I heard a hissing noise. I saw water on the floor. As I got closer, I heard water spraying on top, going up the vent. And there appeared to be no heat in the system.

I turned off the water and took off the top. At first I didn't see anything. I turned back on the water. The problem became pretty clear. There was a spray of water in the center of the water heater. Being near the top, I thought I might be able to solder the hole closed.

But before I started mucking around, I decided to check the warranty. I got my computer and went online. It had me put in the serial number. The web site said it was covered until sometime 2006! So I put the vent back on. I then tried to see if I could get some hot water with the water drained below the pinhole. But as I tried to light it, water kept dripping onto the flame. My guess is that there was another hole in the seem further down. So I drained the tank some more. I used a couple of plastic bottles to route the water directly to the drain.

We got it replaced the next day. It seems they don't make the same model anymore. I'm not surprised, with the weld going bad. But it cost $80 to upgrade. And up to $200 labor. And $35 for a town permit for the work. I guess that isn't as bad as having to buy a new one. The thing that bothers me the most is we went from a unit with middle efficiency to a model with worse efficiency.

Water Heater Pinhole in the Weld

Comments

Trinity said…
i don't get it why did you have to pay if it was still under guarantee? why pay the town? and why did you pay £80 to upgrade to a model with worse efficiency?

Popular posts from this blog

Nobody Blogrolling Me?

Accoriding to wholinkstome there are a bunch of links to me. I know only some people use blogrolling, and I've seen other people have me in their lists of linked blogs. I have 30+ people in my blogrolling list on the side ---> But wholinestome shows that nobody appears to be linking to here. Should I care? Should I remind others to blogroll me? (Feels like begging or nagging.) Should I delete the ones I blogroll who use blogroll and don't blogroll me? (Seems petty.) Should I assume something is wrong with wholinksme? (I've peaked at a couple sites, I'm not there, do I need to do a full inventory?) Should I assume something is wrong with blogroll for my site, and people just can't add me for some reason? (Could it be that simple?) Maybe it is because I haven't done '100 things' yet. :) What would you do? :)

Death in the Family

My father passed away on Sunday afternoon. He had Alzheimers for a number of years. I keep explaining to everyone who expects me to be devastated that I've already done a bunch of mourning. I know the service on Friday will be sad and emotional, but so far I haven't cried. I last saw him this past summer. I am sure he recognized me, but he was already showing that he didn't know who I was. So in my mind, I started to say goodbye then. When I went to my uncle's funeral a few months ago, and saw much cousins speaking about their father, I realized that I would be in that same spot in not too long. Sometimes with Alzheimers, the person's body stay much longer after their mind has gone. My dad was just at that point of slipping both complete beyond who he was and beyond the point of living comfortably. He was no longer happy. So it was a very good time for him to have his final rest. I was glad my sister was able to be with him to the end. His lung ...

I Voted, Colorado

Voting is different here in Colorado than it was back on the East Coast. In New Jersey, and I remember it was the same basic things when my parents voted in New York, the voting was in a mechanical voting booth. You would go to a desk and sign the big book. The would give you a sheet of paper. You would take the paper over to a voting machine. An assistant would take the paper and put it somewhere on the side of the machine. You would pull a big mechanical handle that would close the curtain behind you. Then you would flip the levers to indicate your vote. After, you would push the big handle, which would record your vote, reset the levers and open the curtain. Here in Colorado, the beginning of the process is the same. You wait on line and sign the big book. I went with my wife, as she dropped her car off for service. At first she was going to vote before she dropped off her car. But she called me to tell me the line was an hour long. After I picked her up at the shop,...