Skip to main content

Long Day

Yesterday was a long day. In many ways. Okay, it didn't start that early. I was woken by a phone call about 9:00am. I think that was the best sleep I've had in over a week - and I could have used even a little more then.

But it still took me a long time to get moving and decide what I wanted to do. I was thinking if I'm going to make it to the top of Pikes Peak, I need a lot more training. So I wanted to get in another hike. I was debating what I wanted to do for the 4th of July celebrations - fireworks and all.

I was debating going up to monument, and hiking up the trail above Palmer lake. I wasn't sure how to get there - we had gone once before with friends, and they led the way. I was also debating going to Barr trail - the hike up to Pike's Peak from Manatou Springs. The route I want to be able to do this time.

I finally decided I wanted to get the feel of Barr trail. I also felt in my bones that the weather would be safer down by Manatou Springs than up in Monument. But I didn't get out until after noon. And I was 20 minute on the road when I realized that I forgot my GPS. Just far enough that I didn't want to go back for it. What an interesting difference that would make.

There was a bit of traffic getting through Manatou Springs. I finally parked and was able to get on the trail by 1. As I was starting out, a young girl asked me if I was going up to Barr Camp. I said I didn't think I'd make it that far. Based on how long the scar took me, I was sure I wasn't going to get to Barr Camp. Especially if I wanted to get home to change before going down to see Hootie and the Blowfish at PPIR.

Well, without my GPS, I had to rely on the trail signs to see how far I'd gone and how high. After about 2.5 hours on the trail, I was getting really tired and sore. A smart person would have turned around then. I was not being smart. I kept going. Then I was at a sign that said 9,800' - 1/2 mile to Barr Camp. So close - I couldn't stop. I pushed on.

Yes, I made it all the way to Barr Camp as an afternoon hike, starting at 1pm. What does that mean in distance? It is 7 miles, uphill most of the way - gaining something on the order of 3,500 feet. By linear distance I was more than halfway along the 13 miles to the summit. By altitude, I was a little less than halfway.

This was much more promising than the hike on the scar. Except for the fact that I was so sore, and still had to go all the way back down. That was tough. Yet I managed to pass a few people on the way down. Most were carrying a lot more, having stayed overnight at Barr camp. But not all.

All told, it took me 6 hours. Quite a hike. I even bought a bottle of water at Barr Camp. I took a lot of picture, which I will post later.

Then the question was do I go down to see Hootie & The Blowfish. It was 7pm. Their show was supposed to start at 7:30. I got there about 7:40. But the race before was still running, so I didn't miss the beginning of the show.

The show was pretty good. Although standing for an hour and a half was tough after the hike.

The fireworks were pretty good.

It took more than a half hour to get out of the parking lot. Got home shortly before midnight. Now I am off to help some friends move stuff. I am sort, but I can move. The Advil are helping.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking Blodgett Peak 12/25/2005

So Christmas day Sunday, but we don't do Christmas. And a day off Monday. No real plans until Sunday evening for Channukah. My toe finally feels well enough for a hike. Blodgett Peak has been calling to me for months - especially since I learned there was a geocache on top. So I get up a bit early - early for a day off from work - and head out for a hike. I don't know how far I'll get - but I want to at least get to the top of Blodgett Peak. I've got about 8 geocaches I can try for, depending on how I do. A couple are up in Pike National Forrest, past Blodgett Peak. It is slower going than I expected. I spend more time than I wanted looking for the first 4 geocaches - I only found 2 of them. The trail is Icy and muddy. It is not a great trail - it is not well prepared like the trail going up Pikes Peak. It is very easy to lose the trail - subtle paths seem to go off in many directions. In many places, the trail seems to go up very steep, loose gravel. Step

1000 Greatest Movies

Found on Misanthropic-Tendencies From the NY Times - The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made I've highlighted the ones I've seen from the list. As it is a big list, I've set it to be hidden. I've added some favorite quotes to ones I've seen. Show/Hide the list below A À Nous la Liberté (1932) About Schmidt (2002) Absence of Malice (1981) Adam’s Rib (1949) Adaptation (2002) The Adjuster (1991) The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) Affliction (1998) The African Queen (1952) L’Age d’Or (1930, reviewed 1964) Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972, reviewed 1977) A.I. (2001) Airplane! (1980) "I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing glue" Aladdin (1992) "Poof! Whaddya want?" Alexander Nevsky (1939) Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore (1975) Alice’s Restaurant (1969) Aliens (1986) '...In space no one can hear you scream.' All About Eve (1950) All About My Mother (1999) All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) All That

Nobody Blogrolling Me?

Accoriding to wholinkstome there are a bunch of links to me. I know only some people use blogrolling, and I've seen other people have me in their lists of linked blogs. I have 30+ people in my blogrolling list on the side ---> But wholinestome shows that nobody appears to be linking to here. Should I care? Should I remind others to blogroll me? (Feels like begging or nagging.) Should I delete the ones I blogroll who use blogroll and don't blogroll me? (Seems petty.) Should I assume something is wrong with wholinksme? (I've peaked at a couple sites, I'm not there, do I need to do a full inventory?) Should I assume something is wrong with blogroll for my site, and people just can't add me for some reason? (Could it be that simple?) Maybe it is because I haven't done '100 things' yet. :) What would you do? :)