Long Day

Yesterday was a long day. In many ways. Okay, it didn't start that early. I was woken by a phone call about 9:00am. I think that was the best sleep I've had in over a week - and I could have used even a little more then.

But it still took me a long time to get moving and decide what I wanted to do. I was thinking if I'm going to make it to the top of Pikes Peak, I need a lot more training. So I wanted to get in another hike. I was debating what I wanted to do for the 4th of July celebrations - fireworks and all.

I was debating going up to monument, and hiking up the trail above Palmer lake. I wasn't sure how to get there - we had gone once before with friends, and they led the way. I was also debating going to Barr trail - the hike up to Pike's Peak from Manatou Springs. The route I want to be able to do this time.

I finally decided I wanted to get the feel of Barr trail. I also felt in my bones that the weather would be safer down by Manatou Springs than up in Monument. But I didn't get out until after noon. And I was 20 minute on the road when I realized that I forgot my GPS. Just far enough that I didn't want to go back for it. What an interesting difference that would make.

There was a bit of traffic getting through Manatou Springs. I finally parked and was able to get on the trail by 1. As I was starting out, a young girl asked me if I was going up to Barr Camp. I said I didn't think I'd make it that far. Based on how long the scar took me, I was sure I wasn't going to get to Barr Camp. Especially if I wanted to get home to change before going down to see Hootie and the Blowfish at PPIR.

Well, without my GPS, I had to rely on the trail signs to see how far I'd gone and how high. After about 2.5 hours on the trail, I was getting really tired and sore. A smart person would have turned around then. I was not being smart. I kept going. Then I was at a sign that said 9,800' - 1/2 mile to Barr Camp. So close - I couldn't stop. I pushed on.

Yes, I made it all the way to Barr Camp as an afternoon hike, starting at 1pm. What does that mean in distance? It is 7 miles, uphill most of the way - gaining something on the order of 3,500 feet. By linear distance I was more than halfway along the 13 miles to the summit. By altitude, I was a little less than halfway.

This was much more promising than the hike on the scar. Except for the fact that I was so sore, and still had to go all the way back down. That was tough. Yet I managed to pass a few people on the way down. Most were carrying a lot more, having stayed overnight at Barr camp. But not all.

All told, it took me 6 hours. Quite a hike. I even bought a bottle of water at Barr Camp. I took a lot of picture, which I will post later.

Then the question was do I go down to see Hootie & The Blowfish. It was 7pm. Their show was supposed to start at 7:30. I got there about 7:40. But the race before was still running, so I didn't miss the beginning of the show.

The show was pretty good. Although standing for an hour and a half was tough after the hike.

The fireworks were pretty good.

It took more than a half hour to get out of the parking lot. Got home shortly before midnight. Now I am off to help some friends move stuff. I am sort, but I can move. The Advil are helping.

1 comment:

Stef Leppard said...

Wow, what a day you had! I'd probably look at the mountain and go, "have a nice hike!" LOL. Looking at the mountains is one thing, climbing them is something altogether different. I get tired just going to school! Good for you for getting out and doing something different. It was all worth it in the end, wasn't it? Take care-- Stef